Savory Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Sweet Bacon-Pecan Topping
When I’m off keto, I like to keep things paleo with fresh earthy ingredients that are organic and as close to mother nature as possible. This Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Bacon-Pecan Topping is the perfect fall side dish. It’s so pretty and warming that it would make a superstar appearance at your holiday feasts.
This paleo casserole manages to combine quite a few traditional fall flavors into one outstanding holiday side dish. You’ll find apple, butternut squash, pecans along with spices like cinnamon and cloves in this dish. The thick-cut bacon brings out the salty-sweet flavors in this dish perfectly and adds enough protein that it would be perfect for a weeknight meal or on its own as Thanksgiving leftovers.
New to the keto diet? Start here! This will help you to figure out how to stick to this diet and make it a lifestyle for you.
Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Sweet Bacon-Pecan Topping
To make this dish, you’ll need
¼ c. coconut oil, melted, divided
3 c. butternut squash, cubed
2 medium firm apples, cubed
1 small red onion, chopped
1½ t. fresh sage, chopped
1½ t. fresh thyme leaves
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into ½-inch pieces
½ c. pecans, roughly chopped
2 T. honey
½ t. ground cinnamon
¼ t. ground cloves
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Apple Butternut Squash Casserole with Bacon-Pecan Topping
A delicious holiday side dish perfect for Thanksgiving.
- ¼ c. coconut oil, melted, divided
- 3 c. butternut squash, cubed
- 2 medium firm apples, cubed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1½ t. fresh sage, chopped
- 1½ t. fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ½ c. pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 T. honey
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9x13” baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Set aside.
- Combine the butternut squash, apples, red onion, 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, sage, and thyme in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- Transfer the butternut squash mixture onto the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Place in the preheated oven to roast just until the butternut squash is fork-tender, around 25-30 minutes.
- While the butternut squash mixture is roasting, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally until the bacon is cooked through and crispy, approximately 8-10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a small mixing bowl lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Blot off remaining grease on top and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Once cooled, discard the paper towels and add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil, chopped pecans, honey, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and toss to combine.
- Remove squash from oven and top with the bacon-pecan mixture. Return to the oven until the topping is nicely browned, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.>
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists, and grocery lists to get you started. Want the 5-day meal plan for free? Get it below when you enter your details.[mailerlite_form form_id=1]