Coconut Shrimp is a recipe I’ve enjoyed all my life. It’s one of the first dishes I made for my former love in my early 20s. I’m sharing this Keto Coconut Shrimp Recipe with you today from my heart. It truly is a favorite of mine that I make over and over again.
In traditional versions of coconut shrimp, the shrimp is coated with sweetened coconut flakes and panko breadcrumbs, then deep-fried. This healthier, lighter version is ketogenic, gluten-free and baked, rather than fried. Baking also makes preparing this dish much easier as I tend to find frying shrimp or chicken tenders to be quite laborious.
This version also calls for unsweetened coconut flakes, which allows the other seasonings to take center stage. Here, a tangy avocado-lime dip rounds out the flavors. However, a sugar-free orange marmalade would be a wonderful addition, as well.
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
In this case, large 10/15 count shrimp were used. However, medium-sized shrimp may work better for larger gatherings. If using smaller shrimp, reduce cooking time by a few minutes to prevent overcooking.
For crispier results, reduce baking time to 10 minutes, then place the shrimp under the broiler for 1-2 minutes per side.
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Keto Coconut Shrimp with Avocado-Lime Dip
- ½ cup almond (or coconut) flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- ¾ cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 lb 10/15 count gulf shrimp peeled and deveined, tails on
Avocado Lime Dip
- 1 large ripe avocado pitted and peeled
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro stems removed
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine almond flour, smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, andonion powder in a pie pan or shallow bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- In a second pie pan or shallow bowl, gently whisk the eggs and wateruntil frothy. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Add shredded coconut to a third bowl and set aside.
- Working one at a time, dredge each shrimp in the seasoned almond flour,then dip in the egg mixture. Allow excess egg to drip off before transferringshrimp to the bowl of shredded coconut. Turn to coat shrimp thoroughly beforetransferring to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp andseason with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and bake until golden-brown andcrispy, around 12-15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, add avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and cumin to a foodprocessor or blender and blend until smooth. Add a tablespoon or two of water,if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Season with salt and black pepper,to taste. Transfer to a small serving bowl and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.Set aside.
- Remove shrimp from oven and serve immediately with avocado-lime dip onthe side. Enjoy!
Nutrition for Shrimp
For the Dip
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like autism, epilepsy, diabetes and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists and grocery lists to get you started. Want the grocery list, quick start guide and 7-day meal plan for free? Get it below.