The idea of a Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup was interesting to me as I am Jamaican where soups are typically pumpkin-based and not creamy at all.
Cheeseburgers are high on my list of favorite foods so having converted to the high fat, low carb ketogenic lifestyle, I couldn’t wait to try this soup.
It’s creamy and comforting especially on a cold and dreary day and so delicious it’s not even funny. Best of all, the health benefits are superb since the base of the soup is bone broth which is packed with protein and collagen to help with your skin, hair, nails and internal health.
Bone broth also helps me to get a full night’s sleep. Insomnia is one of those things I tend to suffer from when I restart the keto diet so I do try to get in my collagen and bone broth as much as I can.
This soup is served with a side salad but it would also be amazing with a slice of my Pumpkin Chia Seed Bread toasted up with butter.
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
With only 1.8g net carbs and 363 calories per serving, this soup is the perfect appetizer or snack to help get your fat and protein in. It’s a fun meal that your whole family will love and you’ll be serving something healthy and delicious, packed with veggies and nutritious ingredients.
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup with Side Salad
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ large head of cauliflower chopped
- 3 cups beef broth divided
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 6 cups Baby Arugula
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 oz Pecorino-Romano cheese shaved
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, approximately 6-7 minutes. Transfer cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and blot off excess grease. Drain and discard bacon grease from skillet before returning to the cooktop.
- Add ground beef to the same skillet and sprinkle the onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and smoked paprika on top. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally until the meat is browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and beef broth to the skillet and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until heated through and the cauliflower is fork-tender, but not mushy, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the side salad by adding the baby arugula, grape tomatoes, and the Pecorino-Romano cheese to a large bowl. Add the olive oil and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower is fork-tender, remove the skillet from heat. To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding one or two tablespoons of the hot liquid from the skillet to it. Stir the tempered cream and sharp cheddar cheese into the skillet until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual serving bowls. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle on top of each bowl along with the fresh chopped parsley. Serve immediately with some of the arugula salad on the side. Enjoy!
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like autism, epilepsy, diabetes and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists and grocery lists to get you started. Want the grocery list, quick start guide and 7-day meal plan for free? Get it below.