Want to make your own yogurt? Try this amazing Instant Pot Greek Yogurt! At first glance, this recipe may seem a bit complicated, but it’s actually very easy once you get the steps down. Once you’ve made a couple batches of this delicious, creamy, and smooth Greek Style yogurt, you’ll never want to buy the store-bought varieties again.
You can use any plain, non-flavored yogurt with active cultures in place of the packaged yogurt starter used here. You can also save some of each batch you make to use as starter for future batches. Simply freeze in ice cube trays, and then thaw completely when ready to make another batch
Tools to Make Instant Pot Greek Yogurt
To make our own yogurt, you’ll need a few tools:
- Pressure cooker with ‘Yogurt’ function like this one
- Yogurt Starter – either plain yogurt with active cultures or yogurt starter
- Instant Read Digital thermometer like this affordable one
New to the keto diet? Start here! This will help you to figure out how to stick to this diet and make it a lifestyle for you.
- ½ gallon whole milk
- 2 packets of yogurt starter
1. Add milk to Instant Pot® and select the ‘Yogurt’ function. Select ‘Adjust’ until the screen says ‘boiL.”
2. Add lid and wait until the unit beeps to indicate it is finished boiling. The screen will say “YoGt” when done. (See image) Insert instant-read thermometer into the milk to ensure it has reached at least 180°F
3. Turn unit off and remove pot to allow milk to cool. For quicker results, place pot in a tub of cold water or leave on the counter to cool naturally.
4. When an instant-read thermometer reads 110°F, the milk is cool
enough to add the yogurt starter. For best results, remove about a cup of the milk from the pot and stir the starter into that before pouring into the rest of milk in the pot.
5. Return pot to unit and cover with the lid (no need to seal for this function). Select the ‘Yogurt’ function again and make sure the setting is on “Normal’ (NOT “Low” – very important!) and adjust time for 8-10 hours. The longer the incubation period, the tangier the yogurt will be.
6. When the yogurt is done incubating, remove the lid and turn unit off. Line a strainer with some cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour yogurt into the strainer and place in the refrigerator to strain for several hours to overnight. The longer the yogurt is allowed to strain, the thicker the yogurt will be.
7. Once yogurt is strained, discard the liquid whey (or save to use in smoothies) and transfer the yogurt to a bowl. If the yogurt texture is lumpy, process with an immersion blender or hand mixer until creamy
8. Serve immediately topped with fresh fruit, granola,
and a drizzle of honey, if desired, or store in an airtight container in the
refrigerator for several days. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists, and grocery lists to get you started. Want the 5-day meal plan for free? Get it below when you enter your details.[mailerlite_form form_id=1]