If you’re following a keto diet but still crave the mouthwatering crunch of onion rings, you’re in luck! This keto onion rings recipe is not only gluten- and carb-free but also incredibly delicious. Using chopped onions, eggs, sesame flour, and cheese, you’ll create crispy, golden onion rings baked in muffin molds.
One thing about being on the keto diet is trying to find suitable substitutes for some of our favorite yet high-carb treats. I love french fries and onion rings. While I still haven’t found a good swap for french fries, I did find one for onion rings. Yay!!!
These keto onion rings are not only a hearty snack but also a great side dish to your favorite keto meals. They provide your favorite crunchy texture without the extra carbs. Indulging in crispy, flavorful onion rings doesn’t have to mean derailing your keto diet.
This easy-to-make onion rings recipe with chopped onions, eggs, sesame flour, and cheese will provide the satisfying crunch and flavor you crave while keeping your carb intake in check. Whether you eat them as an appetizer, side dish, or party snack, these onion rings are sure to please keto and non-keto followers alike.
Try this recipe and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors and textures that make these keto onion rings truly special. Enjoy a low-carb treat without the guilt!
Let’s get right to it!
(This post contains affiliate links, so if you make a purchase, I may make a small commission at no cost to you – affiliate disclosure here)
How to Make Keto Onion Rings
Making these keto onion rings is ridiculously simple and you’ll be so happy about this that surely you’ll be making them often!
These scrumptious onion rings will be ready to eat in under 30 minutes.
Silicone Baking Cups– In order to achieve a perfectly formed onion ring, you’ll need baking cups like these ones.
Ingredients for Keto Onion Rings
- 2 Onions – you can use white or yellow; remember, white onions are stronger. You can also use sweet onions, like Vidalia, Maui or Walla Walla
- 1 egg
- Cheddar cheese – you can use your favorite cheese in this recipe
- Sesame flour – you can also use almond flour
- Black sesame seeds – to sprinkle on top
- Salt and pepper
Start by preheating the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease the muffin molds with cooking spray. Silicone molds may be left un-greased.
Peel the onions and dice them into small cubes.
Place the onion filling in a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper.
Beat in the egg, and add the cheese. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are evenly combined.
Add the sesame flour and mix the mixture together.
Spread onion batter into molds, about 2 tsp per mold. Sprinkle the keto onion rings with sesame seeds. Place the mold with muffins in the preheated oven.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the onion rings are golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t overcook.
Remove the onion rings from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
Using a fork or silicone spatula, carefully remove them from the muffin molds. Serve the onion rings hot, ideally with a keto-appropriate sauce, such as homemade mayonnaise, ranch dressing, or low-carb ketchup.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions
Variations: You can experiment with different seasonings to suit your taste. Add a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne pepper for spice, or try using other herbs and spices you like.
Cheese Choice: While cheddar cheese works well for this recipe, you can use other hard-aged cheeses like parmesan or gruyere for a slightly different flavor or even mozzarella.
Sesame Flour Substitution: If you don’t have sesame flour, you can use almond flour or coconut flour as an alternative. Just keep in mind that this may change the flavor and texture of the onion rings slightly.
Keto-friendly dressing sauces: Complement your keto onion rings with a variety of low-carb sauces. Garlic aioli, buffalo sauce mixed with ranch dressing, or a spicy mustard-based sauce are great options. They add extra flavor to the already delicious rings.
What to Serve Alongside Your Keto Onion Rings
You can serve this alone as an appetizer at a party or alongside your favorite dinner dish. Here are some great suggestions:
- Perfectly Tender and Juicy Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Perfectly Cooked Bone-In Pork Chops
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
How to Store Your Keto Onion Rings
These keto onion rings are best eaten fresh and crispy, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes to bring back their crispness.
But, to be honest, I doubt there will be leftovers!
Scrumptious Keto Onion Rings
- Silicone Baking Molds
- 2 onions
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tbsp. cheddar cheese
- 2-3 tbsp. sesame flour
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease the muffin molds with cooking spray. Silicone molds may be left un-greased.
- Peel the scallions and dice them into small cubes.
- 2 Place the onion filling in a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Beat in the egg, add the cheese. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Add the sesame flour and mix the mixture together
- Spread onion batter into molds about 2 tsp per mold. Sprinkle the future rings with sesame seeds. Place the mold with muffins in the preheated oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the onion rings are golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t overcook.
- Remove the onion rings from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Using a fork or silicone spatula, carefully remove them from the muffin molds.