Keto Instant Pot Creamy Asparagus Soup is a delicious comforting soup that can be served either hot or cold, so it is perfect for enjoying all year round!
Hot tip: Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish prior to cooking.
For a vegan variation, substitute olive oil for butter and full-fat coconut milk for the heavy cream.
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable broth preferably organic
- 2 lbs. asparagus tough ends removed and cut into chunks
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1. Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add butter once hot. Add onion and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions develop a bit of color and soften, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- 2. Pour in broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot, gently scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Turn unit off.
- 3. Add asparagus and bay leaf, and stir to combine. Add lid and lock into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 5 minutes.
- 4. When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10
minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and discard bay leaf.
- 5. To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
- 6. Carefully transfer asparagus mixture to a food processor or high-powered blender and process until smooth. To serve, transfer hot or chilled soup to individual bowls and garnish with a few drops of heavy cream and a couple reserved asparagus tips, if desired. Enjoy!
If you’re lost and unsure how to start the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a foolproof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle. Enter your details below and start now!