Keto Instant Pot Creamy Asparagus Soup is a delicious comforting soup that can be served either hot or cold, so it is perfect for enjoying all year round!
Hot tip: Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish prior to cooking.
For a vegan variation, substitute olive oil for butter and full-fat coconut milk for the heavy cream.
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable broth, preferably organic
- 2 lbs. asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into chunks
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 c. heavy cream
1. Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add butter once hot. Add onion and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions develop a bit of color and soften, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
2. Pour in broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot, gently scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Turn unit off.
3. Add asparagus and bay leaf, and stir to combine. Add lid and lock into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 5 minutes.
4. When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10
minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and discard bay leaf.
5. To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
6. Carefully transfer asparagus mixture to a food processor or high-powered blender and process until smooth. To serve, transfer hot or chilled soup to individual bowls and garnish with a few drops of heavy cream and a couple reserved asparagus tips, if desired. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like autism, epilepsy, diabetes and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists and grocery lists to get you started. Want the grocery list, quick start guide and 7-day meal plan for free? Get it below.