Every Christmas I roast a chicken as one of my main dishes. I’m made this recipe recently to test it out for the holidays and I think it’s a win. It’s a Keto Lemon Pepper Chicken Roast that’s perfectly comforting for a family gathering. We all love Lemon Pepper Chicken so I thought I would dress it up as a whole roasted chicken to serve this year.
Is Lemon Pepper Seasoning Keto Friendly?
You’ll have to check the ingredients of yours to make sure there’s no added sugar or starches to the mix. You can always make your own lemon pepper seasoning or use an organic brand like this one to ensure there is no sugar added.
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
Tips for the Best Keto Lemon Pepper Chicken Roast
For this keto lemon pepper chicken recipe, you’ll definitely want to have an instant-read thermometer on hand to check the temperature of your chicken as it roasts.
That’s because actual cook time will vary depending on a number of factors, including starting internal temperature, size of the bird, and fluctuations in cooking temperatures from one oven to the next. For best results, check with your thermometer after 1 hour and adjust the final cook time accordingly.
Watch your chicken and if necessary, loosely cover it with aluminum foil after 45 minutes to prevent over-browning of the skin.
Get your groceries delivered to you, unlimited trips, for only $14.99 per month! Save money and get free delivery? Why ever go to the grocery store again? Get a free trial of Amazon fresh here.
New to the keto diet? Start here! This will help you to figure out how to stick to this diet and make it a lifestyle for you.
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
Whole Roasted Keto Lemon Pepper Chicken with Potatoes
- 2 whole lemons
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 whole roasting chicken 4-5lbs
- 4 large Rosemary sprigs torn into small pieces and divided
- 1 lb baby red tomatoes scrubbed
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- ½ cup chicken broth organic
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Zest one of the lemons with a Microplane and cut the rest of it into quarters. Set the zest and lemon aside
- Slice the remaining lemon into ¼-inch thick slices and arrange on the bottom of a large, oven-safe skillet, along with the sliced yellow onion. Set aside
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon zest, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and Herbes de Provence. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir with a fork to create a paste
- Place the chicken on top of the onions and lemon in the skillet and gently massage 1-2 tablespoons of the lemon-butter mixture under the skin. Spread the remaining mixture all over the outside of the chicken in an even layer.
- Stuff the chicken with the quartered lemon and ⅓ of the rosemary sprigs. Secure the legs together with kitchen string.
- In a large glass bowl, toss the baby red potatoes with the remaining olive oil and fresh rosemary. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired
- Nestle the seasoned potatoes around the chicken before adding the chicken broth and whole peppercorns. Place the skillet in the preheated oven to roast for one hour
- After an hour, remove from oven and check for doneness by inserting an instant-read
thermometer between the leg and breast, but not against the bone
- Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before carving. Serve immediately topped with some of the juices from the skillet and the roasted rosemary potatoes on the side. Enjoy!
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists, and grocery list to get you started. Want the grocery list, quick start guide, and 7-day meal plan for free? Get it below.