Mmmm pumpkin. This Chia Seed Bread is made with almond flour, coconut flour, lots of eggs and lots of love. It’s delicious and makes the perfect keto snack to have on hand.
I made this bread in honour of all things pumpkin and it is honestly so comforting. It’s the perfect afternoon treat, toasted up with some cheese or almond butter. The pumpkin flavour is subtle and warming and would make a great addition to your keto Thanksgiving breakfast.
At only 104 calories and 1 gram of carb per slice, this chia seed bread is really great for those on a ketogenic diet.
This recipe is closely adapted from my coconut flour bread recipe. I wanted to try and make a keto bread using more almond flour instead of coconut flour to see what the results would look like.
I am still a fan of coconut flour because it has fewer calories than almond flour and because you will end up using less coconut flour than almond flour in a recipe, it will also have fewer carbs.
Coconut flour soaks up a lot of liquid so you can get away with using a 1/4 cup in a recipe that would call for 1 cup almond flour.
1/4 cup coconut flour has 6g net carbs and 120 calories
1 cup almond flour has 10g net carbs and a whopping 720 calories
Even though it’s keto, calories still count. It takes about 90 almonds to make just 1 cup of almond flour and you should only be eating a handful a day. It’s really easy to go over your daily allotment with almond flour-based recipes.
This is why I’m always experimenting with using more coconut flour in my keto breads and desserts.
This bread contains chia seeds to help keep reduce the amount of almond flour used, and to add a delicious crunch to the bite. I used chia seeds in most of my keto bread recipes including my mug bread for that exact reason, the texture is delightful.
Pumpkin Chia Seed Bread
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice mix
- ½ tsp stevia
- pinch sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line a 9×4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Separate your egg yolks from whites in two separate bowls. Add cream of tartar to your egg whites and set aside.
- Sift together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, stevia, salt, and pumpkin spice.
- To your yolks, add chia seeds, pumpkin puree, butter, and heavy cream, mixing well.
- Add dry mix to the yolks and set aside.
- Beat your egg whites with a hand mixer till stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold your whites into your yolk mixture a little a time until just incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and knife/toothpick comes out clean from center.
I used pumpkin puree that I made myself in a food processor instead of canned pumpkin. That’s why you’re able to see streaks of pumpkin in the batter and the bread itself. I much prefer this option if you can.
To make pumpkin puree, I like to cut open my pumpkin, clean out the seeds, spread a bit of coconut oil over the inside and roast it in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the pumpkin size. Stick a fork in it to test doneness, it should slide in and out very easily.
Roasting your pumpkin brings out its natural sweetness and earthy flavour, making your Pumpkin Chia Seed Bread that much more amazing.