If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
One-Skillet Lemon Chicken with Summer Squash
¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
1 t. dried oregano
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 lbs. chicken breasts, cubed
½ large red onion, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini (or ½ large), sliced thin and cut into half rounds
1 small yellow squash (or ½ large), sliced thin and cut into half rounds
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 lbs. chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini (or ½ large), sliced thin and cut into half rounds
- 1 small yellow squash (or ½ large), sliced thin and cut into half rounds
1. Whisk 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, oregano, and minced garlic together in a large bowl. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Place the cubed chicken in a large bowl and pour half the marinade on top. Toss to combine and set aside.
3. Add the sliced zucchini and yellow squash to the original bowl with the marinade and toss to combine. Set aside.
4. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the remaining tablespoon olive oil and the sliced red onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens and start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
5. Pour the seasoned chicken into the hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the chicken and onions to a platter. Set aside.
6. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the seasoned zucchini and yellow squash to the skillet. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and nicely browned, approximately 3-5 minutes.
7. Return the chicken, onions, and juices to the skillet and stir to combine. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley, and springs of fresh basil. Serve immediately with additional lemon wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
New to the keto diet? Start here! This will help you to figure out how to stick to this diet and make it a lifestyle for you.
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists, and grocery list to get you started. Want the grocery list, quick start guide, and 7-day meal plan for free? Get it below.