Breakfast sandwiches are a go-to for busy people all over the world and it shouldn’t be any different for people living a low card lifestyle. This Keto Avocado Cheddar Breakfast Sandwich is made with a no-carb cloud bread, one of my favorites for sandwiches. It’s a favorite because cloud bread is light and fluffy and allows the filling to take all the attention instead of being dense and heavy like some other keto bread loaves. Cloud bread is truly the perfect option for keto breakfast sandwiches.
Zero-carb cloud bread is super simple to make. It’s flaky and light and perfect as burger buns, wraps and all types of sandwiches. Where my coconut flour bread or even my pumpkin chia bread are both quite heavy in texture and flavor and best served toasted with butter, jam or cream cheese, cloud bread is light and won’t overpower your sandwich.
You can add lettuce to this sandwich to make it into a keto BLT with cheese. You can also use a slice of turkey, ham or chicken to take this sandwich up a notch. Make it yours!
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
In this post you'll find:
How to Make Cloud Bread
Cloud bread is made from only three ingredients, eggs, cream cheese and cream of tarter.
In fact, you can skip the cream of tarter all together and still come out with a pretty decent cloud bread. The trick is to try and use eggs that are room temperature so stiff peaks form when you beat them.
You can add other spices to your ingredient mix to make your cloud bread tastier. For instance, I’m using garlic powder here to kick things up a bit.
Low and slow is the aim, to gently bake your cloud bread, forming light rounds for sandwiches. To make 8 slices you’ll need:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
New to the keto diet? Start here! This will help you to figure out how to stick to this diet and make it a lifestyle for you.
Keto Breakfast Sandwich
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Beat your egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Set aside and combine all the other ingredients thoroughly. It’s really important that your cream cheese is softened and well incorporated.
Add your cream cheese mixture to the egg whites a spoonful at a time until it’s all just barely mixed in. You don’t want to overwork this mixture and flatten your egg whites too much!
Use a quarter cup to spoon 8 mounds out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. They will spread a bit so give each enough room to do so. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
Then, assemble your sandwich!
Because of the texture of cloud bread, I would only make enough to last one day. You can leave it out on the counter in an airtight container for a day or place in your fridge for up to 3 days, toasting it up as you need it. I wouldn’t store cloud bread for any longer as it just doesn’t hold up well to reheating.
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
Keto Breakfast Sandwich with Cloud Bread
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado sliced
- ½ medium tomato thinly sliced
- 12 slices bacon cooked crispy
- Preheat oven to 300ºF and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside
- Add the 4 egg whites and cream of tartar to the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer. Mix on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the cream cheese with the egg yolks and the garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Working in batches, gently fold the whipped egg whites into the cream cheese mixture with a spatula just until the mixture is thoroughly combined. Do not overwork.
- Spoon approximately a quarter cup of the mixture on the prepared baking sheets to create 8 circles. Gently spread the mixture into one-half inch high circles, leaving some space between each circle. (The mounds will spread a bit while baking).
- Bake until the egg rounds become golden and fully set in the center, approximately 20-25 minutes
- Remove from the oven. Place a slice of cheddar cheese on four of the circles and return to the oven just until the cheese is melted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and top each of the rounds with the melted cheddar with 2-3 avocado slices, a thin slice of tomato, and one strip of bacon broken in half. Top with the remaining egg rounds and serve immediately with 2 additional strips of crispy bacon on the side. Enjoy!
Macros for the cloud bread only
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists, and grocery lists to get you started. Want the 5-day meal plan for free? Get it below when you enter your details.[mailerlite_form form_id=1]