Although caramelized onions take a little time to prepare, they are well worth the effort. Try them on pizza and hamburgers or served alongside your favorite steaks and roasted vegetables.
New to the keto diet? Start here! This will help you to figure out how to stick to this diet and make it a lifestyle for you.
How to Make Caramelized Onions
Before you go whipping up this tasty burger topper, you should ask yourself, can you eat onions on keto?
You’ll be surprised to learn the answer. That being said, I love me some caramelized onions on my burgers and steaks and even on roast chicken and seafood from time to time. Try it with mushrooms for a complete meal!
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
- 3 large yellow onions
- 3 T. unsalted butter
- 2 T, extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1. Remove both ends of onion and cut in half lengthwise. Turn one piece of onion onto flat side and cut into thin slices, working from one end to another. Repeat until all onions are sliced.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion slices to skillet and drizzle olive oil over the top. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
3. Slowly cook the onions down over medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour. (Total cooking time will depend on how many onions were used, the sugar content in the onions, and how old they are). Stir the onions every 5 or 10 minutes while they are cooking to prevent scorching.
4. Once the onions are done caramelizing, add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan. While the liquid is bubbling, gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to incorporate the fond (the brown
bits on the bottom of the pan) into the onions.
5. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Use immediately, or cool and store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124
If you’re lost and not sure how to get started with the keto diet, this meal plan is for you. It’s a fool-proof guide to winning at the high-fat, low-carb lifestyle.
Looking for a more complete guide to start or stick to the keto diet? My Ketogenic Diet 101 eBook is a complete, all-in-one resource for the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet, how it affects lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure plus over 45 recipes, checklists, and grocery lists to get you started. Want the 5-day meal plan for free? Get it below when you enter your details.